Friday 31 May 2013

New Blog: "Streams in the Valley" – Mrs Charles E. Cowman



Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. (Ps.141:3)

                                    Let me no wrong or idle word,
                                            Unthinking say;
                                    Set Thou a seal upon my lips –
                                            Just for today.

Keep still! When trouble is brewing, keep still! When slander is getting on its legs, keep still! When your feelings are hurt, keep still till you recover from your excitement at any rate! Things look different through an unagitated eye.
In commotion once I wrote a letter and sent it, and I kept that letter in my pocket until I could look it over without agitation, and without tears, and I was glad I did – less and less it seemed necessary to send it. I was not sure it would do any harm, but in my doubtfulness I learned reticence, and eventually it was destroyed.
Time works wonders! Wait till you can speak calmly and then perhaps you will not need to speak. Silence is the most powerful thing conceivable, sometimes. It is strength in its grandeur; it is like a regiment ordered to stand still in the mad fury of battle. To plunge in were twice as easy. Nothing is lost by learning to keep still.         HANNAH WHITALL SMITH



Lord, keep me still,
                                    Though stormy winds may blow,
                                    And waves my little bark may overflow,
                                      Or even if in darkness I must go,
                                      Yes keep me still, yet keep me still.

                                                Lord, keep me still,
                                      The waves are in Thy hand,
                                    The roughest winds subside at Thy command.
                                        Steer Thou my bark in safety to the land,
                                                And keep me still, and keep me still.

                                                Lord, keep me still,
                                      And may I ever hear Thy still small voice
                                                To comfort and to cheer;
                                      So shall I know and feel Thee ever near.
                                         And keep me still, and keep me still.        
                                                                                       SELECTED

Silence is a great peacemaker.   HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW
 

No comments:

Post a Comment